Fish is one of the healthiest foods in the world. It is a great source of lean protein that is low fat and provides a wide range of health benefits.
It is the world’s number one source of Omega 3 fatty acids which are incredibly important for your body and brain.
Below are more reasons why you should include fish in your diet more;
- Fish helps reduce the chances of heart disease:
Research has found that eating fish high in omega-3s can slash blood fat levels, which can contribute to a lower heart-disease risk.
Researchers believe that the fatty types of fish are even more beneficial for heart health, because of their high amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Fish is high in nutrients that we hardly get enough of: Fish is high in many nutrients that we hardly get enough of. This includes high-quality protein, iodine and various vitamins and minerals. However, some fish are better than others, and the fatty types of fish are considered the healthiest. That’s because fatty fish (like salmon, trout, sardines, tuna and mackerel) are higher in fat-based nutrients. This includes the fat-soluble vitamin D, a nutrient that most people are deficient in. It functions like a steroid hormone in the body. Fatty fish are also much higher in omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are crucial for your body and brain to function optimally, and are strongly linked to reduced risk of many diseases.
- Reduce Alzheimer’s Risk: Eating fish even as little as once a week can help the grey matter neurons –The part of the brain linked to memory and cognition according to a new study presented last month at the Radiological Society of North America’s annual meeting. Researchers found that people who eat baked or broiled but not fried — fish had larger brains and larger cells in the areas of the brain responsible for memory and learning. Scientists believe the larger brain volume can help lower the risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Fish Contains nutrients that are crucial during development: Expectant and nursing mothers are encouraged to eat fish often. This is because, the omega 3 fatty aciddocosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is especially important, because it accumulates in the developing brain and eye.
- Improves skin and hair: One of the biggest drawbacks to a low-fat diet is you often deprive your skin and hair of the healthy fat it needs, leaving it dull and dry. The omega-3s in fish are exactly the type of healthy fat to eat to keep your skin looking nourished and your hair shiny. Research has also linked fish and omega 3 consumption to treatment of skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- Helps treat and ease depression: Research has found that people who eat fish regularly are less likely to become depressed. This is thanks to the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish that are beneficial against depression, and significantly increase the effectiveness of antidepressant medications.
- Stronger [email protected]: Research has shown that men who eat fish along with other healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains — had stronger swimmers than those who ate unhealthy diets.
- Dose of Vitamin D: Fish and fish products are the best dietary sources of vitamin D, by far. Fatty fish like salmon and herring contain the highest amounts.
Fish can be eaten alongside vegetables, ugali, chips and many other foods.It is usually deep fried in oil or boiled and added supplements to make it delicious.