Sugarcane is sweet when chewed and also very sweet when made juice. As we chew sugarcane, we should be aware there are numerous health benefits associated with this precious tree.
Native to Papua New Guinea, Sugarcane belongs to a grass family, is easy to grow anywhere and is available at very low prices. Sugarcane has become a part of the crop production of most parts of the world, like Asia and America. You can either eat sugarcane pieces or enjoy a glass of sugarcane juice.
Sugarcane is one of the primary ingredients in the manufacture of sugar: 70% of the world’s sugar comes from sugarcane, and the remaining percentage comes from the sugar beet crop.
Sugarcane juice is not like any other sweet juice, but it has many other nutrients. The juice extracted from the cane by pressing it through iron rollers. It is nutritiously refreshing. It contains natural sugars and is rich in organic salts and vitamins. Other uses of sugarcane are drinking or sweetening. In hot summer days, it serves as a cooling drink.
Let us now look at some other health benefits we could get from this amazing plant:
- As much as sugar has a high sugar content, it is suitable for diabetic patients. It contains natural sugar which is high in glycemic index (GI), which helps to keep blood glucose levels in control.
- Sugarcane helps treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones since it’s a diuretic, this helps in proper functioning of the kidneys.
- Sugarcane contains potassium which acts as an excellent digestive aid. It helps in prevention of stomach infections and aids in constipation.
- The juice of sugarcane is rich in minerals which prevent tooth decay and bad breath.
- Sugarcane is a suggested as a remedy for Jaundice. The juice in sugarcane helps in strengthening the liver; it helps in keeping the bilirubin levels in control, thus helping protect the liver against infections. It also helps in strengthening other organs like the brain, reproductive organs, and sensory organs.
- Sugarcane helps in boosting immunity and also in healing wounds. It contains sucrose which is capable of healing wounds in a short span of time.
- Sugarcane juice is essential for strong and healthy nails since it’s full of nutrients that make your nails healthy and beautiful.
- Due to its alkaline nature, sugarcane juice is essential in relieving acidity and burning in our stomachs and intestines.
- The wonder that is sugarcane juice is known to reduce the bad cholesterol in our bodies which are the main reason for weight gain. It is also high in soluble fibers that help us manage our weight.
- Sugarcane helps in treating skin problems as well, problems like blemishes, acne can be treated using sugarcane juice regularly. When used as a face mask, it gives very effective results.
- It protects the skin from aging. Sugarcane contains phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and antioxidants that aid in youthful, glowing soft and moisturized skin.
- Sugarcane contains simple sugars that are quickly absorbed by the body, thus providing it with instant energy. These sugars are used to replenish lost sugars in the body.
- This amazing juice surprisingly ensures a safe pregnancy. It contains traces of folic acid or Vitamin B9, which is known to prevent congenital neural disabilities like Spina Bifida. This juice has been found to be a great addition to a pregnant woman’s diet. It also reduces ovulation problems in women and thus helping in conception.
- Sugarcane is incredibly rich in calcium which is very paramount to the growth and development of healthy teeth and bones.
- Sugarcane can surprisingly be used to combat deadly diseases like cancer. The presence of flavonoids in sugarcane helps to inhibit the multiplication of cancerous cells in the mammary glands, thus reducing the risk of breast cancer.