Managu and Saga are common vegetables in Kenya. These vegetables are mostly grown in Kisii, Rift Valley, Central Kenya and Western parts of the country, They are also popular in Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa,Uganda,Tanzania and many parts of Africa. Vegetables are also popular in most European countries. Many people are not aware that these vegetables can heal over 17 diseases and make your face as smooth as that of a baby.
Our research shows that managu and saga have the following health benefits.
- Vegetables contain low fats and calories,meaning that the amount of colesterol you will consume are extremely low.Cholesterol can cause many diseases in your body,which include hypertension and obesity,but after taking vegetables you will find it hard to have such diseases in your body.
- Another important benefit of vegetables is that they contain potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C,which are essential for body functioning.
- Vegetables are also rich in dietary fiber ,which are essential in reducing blood sugar level,enhancing digestion and reduce risks of heart diseases.
- Diets rich in potassium may help to maintain healthy blood pressure. Vegetable sources of potassium include sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white beans, tomato products (paste, sauce, and juice), beet greens, soybeans, lima beans, spinach, lentils, and kidney beans.
- Folate (folic acid) helps the body form red blood cells. Women of childbearing age who may become pregnant should consume adequate folate from foods, and in addition 400 mcg of synthetic folic acid from fortified foods or supplements. This reduces the risk of neural tube defects, spina bifida, and anencephaly during fetal development. It is important for women to note this especially when they are planning to get pregnant.
- Vitamin A keeps eyes and skin healthy and helps to protect against infections.
- Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds and keeps teeth and gums healthy. Vitamin C aids in iron absorption.
- Eating a diet rich in some vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet may protect against certain types of cancers.
- Diets rich in foods containing fiber, such as some vegetables and fruits, may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Eating vegetables and fruits rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss.
- Eating foods such as vegetables that are lower in calories per cup instead of some other higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.
- Eating vegetable soup helps in reducing the effects of alcohol and alcohol related diseases like diabetes.
- Vegetables also help in reducing the risk of cancer, it kills small number of cancer cells in your body.
Vegetables can be eaten alongside ugali, bananas, as salad,alongside fish,meat and almost every meal, except drinks like tea and coffee.
It is always advisable to eat more vegetables than red meat, or if you are eating red meat, ensure you eat a lot of vegetables so as to neutralize calories and improve digestion.