A degree in South Africa has several areas where a graduate can work. With this qualification, you can work for a law firm, the government, on-governmental organization, banks, insurance companies and foreign embassies. You can also work as a private lawyer.
A list of law firms you can work for include:
- Adams & Adams Attorneys
- Werksmans Attorneys
- Eversheds Sutherland
- Von Seidels
- Bertus Preller & Associates
- ENSafrica – Durban
- BJ ERASMUS PIETERSE ATTORNEYS – KRUGERSDORP
- ENSafrica – Johannesburg
- Law Society of South Africa
- Smit & Van Wyk, Inc.
- Shepstone & Wylie Attorneys
- Legal Aid South Africa – Pietermaritzburg Justice Centre
- BDK ATTORNEYS
- Greyvensteins Incorporated
- Fourie Attorneys & Associates
- Fasken Martineau (Johannesburg)
- Malan Scholes Inc
- Venter And Von Abo Prokureurs
Apart from the listed Law firms above, one can also decide to join the South African government. There are over 100 institutions within the government that employ lawyers. Another option is to join NGOs that deal with justice and Human Rights. Here you are required to represent several clients in court that need justice.
The last and best option is to open a law firm. But it’s advisable to take this step once you have gathered enough experience from a law firm.